- 1/4 cup sugar
- dash salt
- 12 oranges
- 1/2 cup strained orange juice
- 1 grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 TBSP confectioners sugar
- 1/2 TSP vanilla
- 5 entire egg whites
- 1/4 TSP cream of tartar
- 5 egg yolks*
- FOR MERINGUE: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in a large bowl until frothy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until meringue holds very stiff glossy peaks. Grease bottom and sides of a 9 - inch pie plate. Turn meringue into pie plate; making a slight well in the center. Bake at 300 degrees for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 250 degrees and bake for 50 minutes more.
- FOR ORANGE FILLING: Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon - colored. Gradually beat in sugar and salt. Add orange juice; beat until combined. Heat in double boiler over hot water until thickened and mixture reaches 160 degrees. Stir in orange rind. Let cool.
- FOR WHIPPED CREAM: Beat heavy cream, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla. Stir 2 tablespoons of whipped cream mixture into orange filling. Spoon orange filling into meringue pie shell. Spread remaining whipped cream on top. Garnish if desired. Refrigerate.
509 calories, 28g fat, 11g saturated fat, 884mg cholesterol, 408mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 26g protein