- water (optional)
- butter or cooking oil OR cooking spray
- In an 8-inch omelet pan or skillet over medium-high heat, add butter or cooking oil when pan is hot enough to sizzle a drop of water.
- Break egg into pan. Immediately reduce heat to low.
- Cook eggs slowly until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, covering tightly with lid (adding 1 teaspoon water after edges turn white for steambasted, if desired), spooning butter over edges to baste or turning eggs to cook both sides.
- For over easy or over hard, gently lift eggs with a pancake turner and flip upside down into pan to cook second side.
243 calories, 21g fat, 10g saturated fat, 453mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 13g protein