Farmer's Corn Muffins
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
- 14 large eggs, divided
- 4 tbsp butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 1/2 cups bell peppers (about 1 large), finely chopped
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 375?F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and set up an ice bath.
- Gently add 12 eggs to boiling water and cook for 6½ minutes, transfer immediately to ice bath. Let sit about 10 minutes or until cooled. Carefully peel eggs so not to break yolks.
- Meanwhile heat a large skillet over medium heat and add butter to melt. Once butter has melted add peppers and scallion whites.
- Cook until soft and fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, season with salt to taste. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine corn meal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, corn kernels, and scallion greens, stir to combine for 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked vegetables with butter and stir to combine another 30 seconds.
- Add oil, two remaining eggs and mix until combined.
- While running on low speed slowly pour in buttermilk until just combined.
- Line a muffin tin with tulip cupcake liners and fill each cup with a heaping tablespoon of batter, press down lightly with the back of a spoon to fill the bottom and create a small divot in center.
- Place an egg in each divot with point side up then divide remaining batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups. Tap the tray on the counter a few times to ensure the batter fully encases the egg.
- Bake muffins for 30-35 minutes, or until lightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Take care to not press the toothpick too deep to puncture the egg.
- Best served slightly warm, but can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days.