Almond Apple Strata
- 6 slices of day-old bread
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup purchased almond filling
- 2 nonfat milk
- 1/3 cup Swiss cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced
- 1/4 toasted almonds, sliced
- 2 entire cooking apples, sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spread three slices of bread with the almond filling. Cover each slice with a second slice of bread. Trim crust from sandwiches. Cut each trimmed sandwich diagonally into four triangles. Stand triangles up along edges of a greased 2 - quart baking dish. Cut remaining crusts into cubes. Place cubes in center of dish between triangles.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs. Stir in sugar, cinnamon and milk. Carefully pour mixture into baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and untoasted almonds. Allow dish to stand 15 minutes before baking. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- FOR FILLING: In a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in sugar and cinnamon. Add apples; bring mixture to a boil. Simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until apples are tender, but still retain their shape. Stir frequently. Drain liquid from apples.
- Just before serving, top dish with apple filling and sprinkle 1/4 cup toasted almonds. Garnish with fresh fruit.
324 calories, 17g fat, 6g saturated fat, 159mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 11g protein