Sweet Potato Pie with Crunchy Cranberry Topping
|1||deep dish pie crust, frozen|
|8 ounces||frozen cranberries, thawed|
|1/2 cups||pecans, chopped|
|1/2 teaspoons||freshly grated nutmeg|
|1 teaspoons||ground cinnamon|
|1 tablespoons||grated orange zest|
|3/4 cups||heavy cream|
|1/4 cups||unsalted butter|
|3||sweet potatoes, medium|
|1/2 cups||powdered sugar|
- Thaw, Bake, and Set Aside:
1 deep dish pie crust, frozen
- Bake; Peel; Place in Food Processor; Puree:
3 medium sweet potatoes
¼ cup unsalted butter
- In another Mixing Bowl, Beat and Add to Potatoes:
½ cup sugar
- Add to Potato Mixture; Mix Well:
¾ cup heavy cream
1 T. grated orange zest
1 t. ground cinnamon
½ t. freshly grated nutmeg
- For the Topping; Toast at 325°F for 10 Minutes:
½ cup pecans, chopped
- Add; Pulse in Food Processor:
1 8-oz. pkg. frozen cranberries, thawed
12 shortbread cookies
½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Thaw, bake and set pie crust aside. Prick potatoes with a fork and bake until soft, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool. Peel and place potatoes in food processor.
- Add butter and pulse to puree.
- In another mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar, then add to potato mixture in food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add cream, orange zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg, blend well. Pour mixture into pre-baked pie shell. Place the pie pan on a sturdy cookie sheet to catch any spills. Lower the temperature to 325°F and bake until the pie is set but still jiggles slightly, about 40 minutes. Place pecans for topping on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Thaw cranberries.
- Pulse pecans, cranberries, cookies and sugar in food processor. Sprinkle over cooled pie and serve promptly.