Submitted by: Carol J. Chase
Serving Size: 6/8
Nutritional Information: 610 calories, 44g fat, 18g saturated fat, 235mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 26g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 29g protein
|4 tablespoons||Olive oil (divided)|
|3 cloves||Garlic (minced)|
|1||Large onion (thinly sliced)|
|4||Bell peppers (red, green, orange and yellow)|
|3||Squash (yellow and green, 6 inches long, thinly sliced)|
|8 ounces||Fresh mushrooms (sliced)|
|1 pounds||Bulk pork sausage|
|8 ounces||Cream cheese (cut into cubes)|
|2 cups||Swiss cheese (shredded)|
|8 slices||Whole wheat bread (cubed)|
- Take bell peppers, cut a 1/4 inch circle around the middle of each, set aside and cut the remaining pieces into thin strips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a large skillet with 1 Tablespoon olive oil, sauté garlic, onion, strips of peppers until tender. Drain and pat dry. Set aside. Add another 1 Tablespoon oil to skillet and add squash. Saute'' until tender. Drain and pat dry. Set aside. Add another 1 Tablespoon oil to skillet and sauté mushrooms until tender. Drain, pat dry and set aside.
- Brown sausage in skillet. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Stir in sautéed vegetables, half of bread cubes and cheeses.
- Press remaining bread cubes into bottom of a lightly oiled (use the remaining 1 Tablespoon of olive oil) 10 inch spring form pan.
- Place on a baking sheet to catch any liquid that may leak from bottom of pan.
- Pour 1 1/2 Cups of vegetable mixture into pan. Distribute sausage on top of vegetable mixture.
- Pour rest of vegetable mixture on top of sausage layer. Arrange pepper circles on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Cover with foil to prevent excessive browning and bake an additional 10-15 minutes. Serve while warm.
*Helpful tips - Grate the squash, and squeeze excess liquid into a paper towel. This recipe also works well in a 9x13 casserole dish.