Portabella Mushroom Toast and Egg
Serving Size: 1
Nutritional Information: Nutrition information per serving (1 filled mushroom cap): 243 calories; 18g total fat; 7g saturated fat; 2g polyunsaturated fat; 7g monounsaturated fat; 204mg cholesterol; 169mg sodium; 9g carbohydrate; 2g dietary fiber; 12g protein; 552.2 IU Vitamin A; 54.4 IU Vitamin D; 56.5mcg folate; 85.7mg calcium; 1.5mg iron; 170.2mg choline.
|1||Portabella mushroom (large)|
|1 teaspoons||Olive oil|
|1 teaspoons||Unsalted butter|
|1/4||Small onion (thinly sliced)|
|1 tablespoons||Garlic (fresh, minced)|
|1 tablespoons||Goat cheese (soft)|
|1 teaspoons||Parmesan cheese (shredded)|
Prep.Time: 10 minutes. Cook Time: 15 minutes. Makes:1 serving
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein and Choline, and a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin D and Folate.
- Gently CLEAN portabella mushroom. REMOVE stem and gills. BRUSH with olive oil. COOK in a small covered skillet on low heat 5 minutes per side or until tender.
- Meanwhile, MELT butter in another small skillet on medium heat. SAUTE onion and garlic 6 to 8 minutes or until onion is very soft.
- SPREAD inside of mushroom with goat cheese. FILL with onion mixture.
- SPRAY a small skillet with cooking spray. FRY egg according to personal preference for doneness.
- TOP mushroom with egg. SPRINKLE with Parmesan cheese.
- Substitute Cheddar cheese for the Parmesan.
- A poached egg may be prepared instead of a fried egg to top the toast.
- Garnish plate with parsley sprigs and a few grape tomatoes.
- Mushroom may also be cooked in the oven. PREHEAT oven to 425°F. Place cleaned mushroom cap brushed with oil on baking sheet. BAKE 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- To FRY an egg, spray small skillet with cooking spray OR add 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil. HEAT skillet on medium-high heat. SLIP egg into pan and immediately reduce heat to low. COOK slowly until white is completely set and yolk begins to thicken. BASTE egg with butter OR turn over to cook both sides.
- To POACH an egg, bring 2 to 3-inches of water to boiling in deep skillet or omelet pan. BREAK cold egg into a custard cup. SLIP egg into water. COOK until whites are completely set and yolk begins to thicken but is not hard,about 3 to 5 minutes. REMOVE carefully with a slotted spoon.