Piña Colada Pie
Submitted by: Dylan Schrock
|1/2 cup||Shredded coconut (toasted, divided)|
|5 ounces||Vanilla wafers (finley grounded)|
|1/4 cup||Butter (melted)|
|4||Egg yolks (beaten)|
|1 1/2 cups||Water|
|1/2 cup||Pineapple juice|
|Cream Cheese Layer:|
|6 ounces||Cream cheese|
|3/4 teaspoon||Coconut extract|
|5||Pineapple rings (small can)|
|1 cup||Heavy cream|
|1 teaspoon||Coconut extract|
- Place 1/2 cup coconut on baking sheet and bake on middle oven rack at 350 degrees until lightly browned.
- For crust: Combine ground vanilla wafers, melted butter and half toasted coconut. Press into a 9 inch pie plate and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- For pineapple layer: Put egg yolks into a small bowl and whisk. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch, water, sugar and salt. Whisk to combine. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently. Gradually bring mixture to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and gradually add to egg yolks one spoonful at a time, mixing well after each addition until about half the hot mixture has been added (bottom of bowl will be warm). Add yolk mixture to rest of the hot mixture in a saucepan and cook on low for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter and pineapple juice until well combined and butter has melted. Pour mixture into small mixing bowl and place in refrigerator until cool or place in freezer and stir every two minutes cool.
- Cream cheese layer: In medium mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, sugar and extract. Spread this on the bottom of cooled pie crust.
- Finishing: In a separate mixing bowl, beat heavy cream with sugar and extract until stiff peaks form. After pineapple mixture is cooled, pour over cream cheese layer in a pie pan. Place pineapple rings on top of pineapple layer. Pour whipped cream mixture over pineapple rings. Sprinkle remaining toasted coconut on top. Serve as is or refrigerate.