|1||favorite egg-containing cake (9x13)|
|1/4 teaspoons||cream of tartar|
|1 1/2 cups||hot water|
|1 teaspoons||extract/liquor of choice for flavor|
|1 pounds||powdered sugar|
- In a 9x13-inch pan, bake your favorite egg-containing cake. Once cooled, level the top and trim the sides of the cake to achieve straight edges. Cut cake into 11/2 x 11/2 inch squares. (For easier cutting of the individual cakes, freeze the cake prior to cutting for 45-50 minutes.)
- Place individual cakes on wire racks, leaving plenty of space in between cakes. Fill a food-safe squeeze bottle with Petits Fours Icing (see below) and squeeze over the top of each cake, allowing icing to run over sides to cover completely.
- Let sit for 20 minutes. Cover cakes a second time. Cover a third time if necessary. Decorate as desired. Makes 50 Petits Fours.
Petits Fours Icing:
- 3 c sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 c hot water
- 1 tsp extract/liquor of choice for flavor
- 1 lb (4 c) powdered sugar
- Bring sugar, cream of tartar, and water to a boil, stirring constantly for 7 minutes (until completely dissolved). Reduce heat, stirring occasionally until temp reaches 225F (use a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat; cool without stirring until icing temp reaches 110F (60 - 90 minutes).
- Add your favorite flavoring and powdered sugar until mixture is thick but still fluid. If icing is too thick, add warm water until desired consistency is reached.