Peppermint Meringue Snow Peak Cookies
Serving Size: 24
|3||large egg whites, at room temperature|
|1/2 teaspoon||vanilla extract|
|1/4 teaspoon||cream of tartar|
|3/4 cup||granulated sugar|
|1/2 cup||white chocolate chips|
|1/4 cup||peppermint hard candy or candy candes, crushed|
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1 tablespoon sugar at a time, waiting about 20 seconds between each addition, until all the sugar has been incorporated. The egg whites should be stiff and glossy.
- Place mixture in a pastry bag fitted with an open star tip. Pipe mixture onto the prepared baking sheets, about 1½” high with 1½” base mounds, about 1” apart. For a total of 48 cookies.
- Bake 15 minutes, then rotate pans to different racks and continue baking 15 minutes more. Turn off oven and leave in the oven with door closed for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, about 2 hours.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips. Microwave at 30 second intervals until completely melted.
- Dip bottom of meringues into chocolate, sliding excess chocolate on the edge of the bowl, then dip into peppermint candy. Return to the baking sheet. Let stand for about 20 minutes, until chocolate is set.
- Serve and store in an airtight container up to 3 days.