French Toast Tropicale
|1/4 cups||apricot tidbits, small bits|
|1 pounds||French bread, 1" slices|
|1 3/4 cups||milk|
|apricot or maple syrup|
- Cover apricot tidbits with water. Microwave until water boils. Drain. Sprinkle coconut evenly over bottom of 15 ½ x 10 ½ x 1" or similar size baking pan.
- Turn oven on to 375°F. Place pan in oven and bake until coconut is toasted a light brown, approximately 6-8 minutes.Transfer coconut to a dish or piece of waxed paper.
- Place butter in pan. Return to oven until butter is melted. Sprinkle toasted coconut and apricot bits evenly over butter. Mix together sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly all over pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs with a whisk. Add milk, salt and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Place bread pieces, 3-4 at a time, in egg mixture for about 1 minute, turning several times to ensure coating.
- Place bread pieces close together in baking pan. Repeat until bottom of pan is completely covered. Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes.
- Pour thin coat of syrup on serving plate. Place toast, coconut side up on syrup. Serve immediately.
- Pieces of any fresh fruit may be place along side toast if desired.