Eggs and Pasta – Why Not
Submitted by: Morgan Stockman
Serving Size: 12
|9||Whole wheat lasagna noodles|
|1/2 pounds||Ground sausage|
|1/2 teaspoon||Garlic powder|
|1/2 teaspoon||Garlic salt|
|to taste||Salt and ground pepper|
|2/3 cup||Mushrooms (chopped)|
|16 ounces||Cottage cheese (1 container)|
|1/2 cup||Parmesan cheese (shredded)|
|1 can||Diced tomatoes|
|1 cup||Cheddar cheese (shredded)|
|1 cup||Mozzarella cheese|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, add the lasagna noodles a few at a time, and return to a boil. Cook the past uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 10 minutes. Remove the noodles to a plate.
- Scramble eggs and mushrooms together and when done set aside in a bowl.
- Place the ground sausage into a skillet over medium heat, add the garlic powder, garlic salt, and salt and ground pepper into the skillet. Cook the meat, chopping it into small chunks as it cooks, until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain excess grease.
- In a bowl mix the cottage cheese, 2 raw eggs, and parmesan cheese until thoroughly combined.
- Place 4 noodles side by side into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan; top with a layer of the diced tomatoes, a layer of sausage, a layer of eggs and mushrooms, and a layer of the cottage cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice more, ending with a layer of tomatoes; sprinkles top with shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until it is bubbling and the cheese has melted, about 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until cheese has begun to brown.
- Allow to stand at least 10 minutes before serving.
- If desired put a slice of chilled avocado on top when serving.