Egg-zotic Almond Pineapple Torte
Submitted by: Ruth Marie Faber
Serving Size: 12/16
|1/2 teaspoons||cream of tartar|
|3/4 cups||powdered sugar|
|1 1/2 cups||whipping cream|
|3 tablespoons||reserved Pineapple curd|
|8 ounces||almond paste, softened|
|20 ounces||crushed pineapple|
|3/4 cups||granulated sugar|
|1 1/2 teaspoons||baking powder|
|1 1/2 cups||all purpose flour|
|1 teaspoons||almond extract|
|1 1/2 cups||granulated sugar|
|1 1/2 teaspoons||almond extract|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan. Set aside.
- For cake, in a large mixing bowl beat eggs until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, a cup at a time. Stir in almond extract. In a medium bowl blend flour and baking powder. Fold flour mixture into egg mixture, ½ cup at a time, until just incorporated. Pour batter into pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For pineapple curd, in a medium mixing bowl beat eggs until light and fluffy. In a medium saucepan melt butter. Add sugar, ½ cup reserved pineapple juice and eggs. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and cool for 20 minutes.
- To assemble torte, remove cooled cake from pan. Slice horizontally into 2 layers. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; sprinkle with 3 to tablespoons reserved pineapple juice. Spread half of the pineapple curd filling over cake layer, then spread with ½ cup of the drained, crushed pineapple. Place remaining cake layer over pineapple. Repeat with pineapple juice, pineapple urd (reserving 3 tablespoons) and another ½ cup crushed pineapple.
- For almond cream topping, roll out softened almond paste between two sheets waxed paper large enough to cover top of torte. Carefully fold almond paste over rolling pin and remove paper as you roll over the top of torte, (as if placing a top pie crust over a pie filling) Spread light coating of pineapple curd over almond paste. In a chilled 1-quart mixing bowl, combine whipping cream, powdered sugar, cream of tartar and almond extract. Whip with an electric mixer to stiff peaks. Spread over top and sides of torte.