Caramel French Toast Casserole with Strawberry Sauce
Submitted by: Danielle Epp
Serving Size: 12
Nutritional Information: 431 calories, 25g fat, 15g saturated fat, 146mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 7g protein
|1 cups||brown sugar, packed|
|1/4 cups||granulated sugar|
|1/2 teaspoons||rum extract|
|1 1/2 cups||whipping cream or half-and-half|
|1 loaf||Hawaiian King bread (round loaf)|
|2 tablespoons||corn syrup|
|9 tablespoons||butter, divided|
|1 cups||unsweetened strawberries, fresh or frozen|
- In a small saucepan melt 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) of butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over medium heat. Stir until smooth and pour into a 13 x 9 x 2 - inch inch baking pan.
- Cut the Hawaiian bread into 1 - inch slices. Arrange the bread slices in one layer in the baking pan. Whisk together eggs, whipping cream, rum extract, and salt in a bowl until well combined and pour over bread. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours.
- Remove casserole from refrigerator and stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake, uncovered, about 35 minutes or until bread is puffed and edges are golden. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- While casserole is baking, prepare sauce. In a blender or food processor puree strawberries to desired consistency. In a small saucepan stir sugar, water and cornstarch. Cook over medium to high heat until thickened and bubbly. Add pureed berries and cook for 10 minutes more. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter.
- Serve French toast casserole warm topped with strawberry sauce.